Friday, April 13, 2007

The Right To "Soap Box"

I have realized the older I get, the more I get on my "Soap Box".* I should probably be more wise, more humble and more knowledgeable. Yet, I think I just get more opinionated.
My first intro to the "Soap Box" theory was my senior year of high school when my politics teacher taught us "I may not agree with your opinion, but I'll fight to defend your right to have it".
I've quickly realized just how many opinions are out there with our next presidential election with candidates such as a Mormon, an African-American and a female.** I realize there are MANY opinions out there and probably not enough soap boxes to go around to stand on for all of them. I hope to teach my children the same principles I learned at 18 years of age. The ironic thing, is in my mature age of 30-something, I realize that politics teacher and I have vastly different political views........but I still respect him.

*It's worth mentioning the best take on the "Soap Box" I've seen is the custom made actual Tide soap box, complete with foot shaped cut-outs for proper standing placement, made by my sister-in-law for her highly educated and politically aware husband. :)

** Have you heard the joke about killing 3 birds with one stone for the presidential candidates? Gladys Knight.......Mormon, African-American and Female! Love it!

1 comment:

love.boxes said...

Love the joke ... Go Gladys... I love the idea of the soapbox stand. I am always on one myself, me and my theories never shut up. I learned something from my little sister though the other day. She is a HS teacher and one of her students asked her a political question and she said, "I am not as informed on that topic as I should be and so I am not able to answer your question." I need to do that more.